Thursday, September 8, 2016

Shouldn't have to beg


Twice this week I have had a Pastor tell me we shouldn't have to "beg" for money to go to the mission field.  I understand what they mean; but if I ever had to beg for something, I think I would just do without.  

"God has obligated Himself to provide for you what He has called you to do" is a statement we were told during our partnership development training.  God has called us to go to Mexico and what a privilege it is to go.  Because He called us, He is the one who will provide.  We cannot do it all by ourselves, and Scripture gives different examples of partnerships--partnerships through prayer, team building and finances.  Paul says in Philippians 4:17, "Not because I desire a gift: but I desire fruit that may abound to your account."  Whoever partners with us, and however they partner, will receive treasures in Heaven for what God accomplishes in Mexico.  

We enjoy sharing with many different individuals, families, Sunday school classes, small groups and churches.  It's our responsibility to share; it's God's responsibility to provide.  I stand amazed at how God has provided us with so many prayer partners.  He has provided team builders through those who have passed along our information or invited us to share in small groups.  He currently has provided 64 financial partners--individuals, small groups and  churches--who have committed to a monthly financial partnership from $10 - $400.  He has blessed us tremendously.  

I'll never beg someone to join us in partnership, but I will ask to share an opportunity to invest in God's kingdom work.  

2 comments:

  1. Hmm, that's interesting. What do you think they mean by that? I've known a few people who said missionaries should never ask for funds. However, it seems that the Apostle Paul had not problem asking for financial donations, I Cor 16.

    I would agree that we shouldn't "beg" which seems to connote a groveling, naging quality of petition. On the other hand, making a need known and asking for interested people who are able to join you in helping to take care of that need seems quite contrary to begging and in fact a noble act of exhorting others to follow your lead in sacrifice for the Kingdom of God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I honestly believe that the phrase was used to convey the thought that more people should be willing to partner financially in Kingdom work. However some are not familiar with missionary financial partnerships and I thought it was a good opportunity to bring some clarification.

    Thanks for your comment! Very good words.

    ReplyDelete